Friday, November 07, 2008

something rotten in denmark

Today has been a most discouraging and disturbing day. There is a lot going on in my school that I am concerned about. My children are imperfect and live in a culture that supports abuse, neglect, irresponsibility, and lack of vision. I fight every day to show them something different. And everyday others around me perpetuate the cycle. Even those I once thought to respect.

I cannot be more explicit here until I've confronted the problem and decided what my part to play will be. But then, maybe there is no decision. I have to do something and it means making enemies or maybe just having to deal with losing. I don't know.

It's been a hard day. A hard week. A hard month. And my kids are the ones paying for the hypocrisy and inadequacies.

I have this hope (almost a goal) that if I ever had children of my own that I would eventually feel confident sending them to a school in my neighborhood. But right now, I don't see it happening. You would never send your children to my school, charter or not. You'd be fucking crazy. This absolutely depresses me.

No comments: