Thursday, August 02, 2007

"The cure for boredom is curiosity. There is no cure for curiosity." - Dorothy Parker

I got my class rosters today as well as my schedule. The class list is full of names that I have never seen before and many that I have no clue how to pronounce. I'm horrible with names in the first place so all these unusually spelled hybrids are going to be a challenge for me. At least, I tell myself, I only have 39 names to remember at the moment and won't have more than about 45. 18 kids in one block and 21 in the other.



I am thoroughly, paralyzingly terrified. But there is also that little twinge in my gut that I got when I looked over my list this afternoon. These are my kids. And even though I know that they will probably give me hell and keep me awake at night and hate my guts and push my buttons and struggle all the way, I want them to have everything. Maybe because I don't think that I will ever be a mom this is where my maternal instincts play out--in a classroom. They're my kids and they are going to kick ass and I think they're awesome. Every last unpronounceable one of them.

No comments: