Wednesday, February 06, 2008

mardi gras 2008 accomplished

It's been a whirlwind, oh internets, and it came far to early in the year for my taste. But Mardi Gras 2008 (or as I like to think of it now: Successfully Escaping All Things Educational & Responsible Four Days in a Row 2008) has been a success. The calm of Ash Wednesday is always so refreshing but kind of sad.

I did a little something every night since Friday over the festival weekend. Friday was a delayed Muses parade wherein I skated the entire parade route and then met up with a friend from out of town and proceded to stay up for a total of 26 hours. Saturday was meeting up with other folks from out of town and spending entirely too much time at Pat O'Briens (a bar I go to only during this season, really). Sunday was...uh, I've already forgotten Sunday. But I did something good, I'm sure of it, and crashed in the Quarter. Lundi Gras was the most excellent of evenings spent at One Eyed Jack's to watch Morning 40 Federation, a stop from the Noise Parade, and Quintron & Miss Pussycat. I even scored a small black rubber chicken that was not actually very rubbery from someone with the Noise.



And Mardi Gras. Mardi Gras in the French Quarter is always a spectacle and I spent a great deal of it dancing barefoot in Jackson Square with some Evangelines and anyone else who happened to come along, just watching the people go by, and rather joyfully dancing in the face of those who would have me repent, be reborn in Jesus, and subject myself to the will of a husband. No thanks, I think I'll go to Hell happy.

Happy Belated Mardi Gras, New Orleans. This is one of the best places on earth.


Photos courtesy of ab3, because I am camera-less. And anyway, he takes better pictures than I do.

2 comments:

Leigh C. said...

Glad it was a great one for you, mademoiselle! And you looked smashing to boot.

Anonymous said...

dood... I totally took that photo :)